Sunday, January 13, 2019

windows 7 - Laptop with external monitor

I'm using a laptop connected via HDMI to a TV which I use as the primary monitor. I have disabled the sleep function when closing the lid in the power settings and set the laptop to "only display on monitor 2" in the display settings. This works fine and allows me to just use the TV as the main display while stowing the laptop out of the way while I watch a film etc. My problem is that when it comes to open the laptop to gain access to the keyboard the display is automatically reverted to "extend these displays" making the laptop screen the primary again. This messes up whatever's on screen and also mean that I have to manual switch the TV to the primary display when it comes to closing the laptop again. Is there any way to prevent this from happening.



I understand that there are a few work arounds such as not closing the laptop lid (which I currently am forced to do) or buy a wireless keyboard and mouse to avoid having to use the built in ones (which I may well do in the future). For now I was just wondering if there was any easy way to prevent the opening and closing the laptop from altering the display settings in the same way as changing the power options prevents it from putting the laptop into sleep mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...