Sunday, January 13, 2019

filesystems - Windows ghost file handles


I am intermittently having issues in Windows 10 where all files or folders on a certain drive and sometimes certain subdirectories get a write lock. This is happening on a separate drive from the drive where Windows is installed and whenever it happens, I have to move the folder or file into another directory, rename it, then move it back. I have tried using handle and performance monitor to see if there are any handles on the files or directories and there never are. This used to happen on the root of my G drive which is a compressed NTFS drive but eventually this problem went away. It hasn't happened in a while and just now it was happening in a subdirctory on that drive. As stated above, there were no handles attached to the affected files but moving those files to another directory, renaming them, then moving them back was a solution but obviously this can become a pain when having to do it often. I have also tried using CMD to rename affected directories but this doesn't work either.


I've searched around for a solution to this on and off for quite some time and every time I see solutions like see what the file is open in and like I've said, there is no indication that the files are open. I've also tested things like making a new folder and trying to rename it and it never works. I always have to move it to another directory and rename it and then move it back. It seems like there is some sort of lock but this should prevent me from moving the files but that works. From what I've seen in the past, locks prevent moving files but allow copying them an moving works here.


Answer



It looks like it was Foobar2000 being weird, for whatever reason it does't show that it has handles on every file in a folder but when I close it it seems to allow me to rename folders. This still doesn't explain why I can't rename some stuff on the root of the drive but that seems to happen less often than in my music folder. Will update if it still occurs with F2k closed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...