Tuesday, January 29, 2019

ssd - Dell PERC H710P Raid Control reduced I/O speeds when idle



I have a Dell PERC H710P Raid Controller card and 4 Dell Certified 600GB Solid State Drives configured in RAID-10. I have a Dell Poweredge R820. After performing benchmark tests using ATTO, I usually average 3.5Gb/s speeds for read and write.




The machine is still fairly new, and does not have anything running on it yet. I noticed however, when I leave the server on and unattended (no programs running, machine is idle), the next day I go and perform the benchmark test again using ATTO, the read and write speeds decrease to 1 Gb/s.



Read Policy = Adaptive Read Ahead,
Write Policy = Write Back,
Stripe Element Size = 64KB,
Disk Cache Policy = Enabled,



The only solution I have found to restore the read and write speeds back 3.5 Gb/s is to restart the server.... everyday...




Any thoughts on why the read and write speeds decrease when the machine sits idle for over a day or so?


Answer



Check the power system profile in the BIOS and try setting it to 'Performance'. We've found a variety issues when the system is in power efficient mode. In addition to reduced storage i/o we've seen high latency on 10GbE networking and poor VM performance when the system is a hypervisor. But like your situation, the problems only manifest after the system has been running for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...