Sunday, January 20, 2019

Why doesn't Windows Update give us the most recent updates?

...For example, I'm updating an old Windows XP machine, and Windows update tried to get me to install Internet Explorer 7. But Internet Explorer 8 is out. Why not skip 7 and just go to 8?


There have also been times in the past when doing a fresh XP install, I'll install a ton of updates, and THEN Windows Update suggests I install Service Pack 2. If I had skipped straight to Service Pack 2, I wouldn't have needed to install most of those updates! And I have since learned to do just that - manually download SP2, then SP3, and then start updating. Why doesn't Windows Update know to do this for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...