Tuesday, January 29, 2019

windows 7 - How to load entire program from pagefile quickly?

Sometimes I do not use some programs with high memory usage (e.g. virtual machine with 2 GB of memory) for several days. When I return to it, its memory is mostly swapped onto HDD. When I try to work with this program later it is loaded back very slowly. For example its physical memory usage raises from 600 MB to 1100 MB with the speed of 250 KB/s and only after that it becomes rather responsive. So the slowdown is because data are read non-sequentially.


Is it possible to load program's memory in one sequential HDD read pass? Because this has to take only half a minute.


This is a working machine, OS Windows 7 x64, RAM size is 8 GB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...