Saturday, January 19, 2019

Windows 10, HP laptop battery "plugged in, not charging"

After installing Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion g6-2197sa laptop, I have had problems charging the battery. The battery icon reports something like "79% available (plugged in, not charging)."


I can, sometimes, temporarily fix this problem by following these steps:



  1. Shut down

  2. Remove battery

  3. Boot up on AC power

  4. Uninstall the ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver

  5. Shut down

  6. Reinsert battery

  7. Reboot


However, I bought a new battery to see whether the issue lay with my original battery, and it worked fine for a while before it also succumbed to the issue. Now the new battery no longer charges even after repeating the above process. My original battery seems to charge temporarily after I repeat the above process.


I have further noticed that my AC light flashes continuously while plugged in, whether the laptop is on or off, which it never used to do.


Also, note that the battery never charges, now matter how low the available remaining power gets - my problem doesn't appear (to me) to be a feature designed to prolong battery life.


I would really like to fix this problem permanently but am completely stumped. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...