Friday, January 18, 2019

boot - BSOD in windows xp even in command line mode


My windows XP SP2 suddenly stopped working. It flashes a BSOD even in



  • secure mode with network

  • secure mode without network

  • last known configuration


How should I try to investigate what's going on?


If I start in safe mode in command line, I can see a black screen with the cursor flashing about 20 times, and then the BSOD appears again.


Note: I have not installed new hardware/software




update: I cannot read the BSOD message. However, I tryied to repair the installation by reinstalling winXP to the same partition, and the windows partitioner stated the partition has unknown type. However, I was able to boot a fedora livecd, and see the partition table (it says it is an ntfs), and see most of my files.


I also did a smart test, and it failed (2 pending sectors on my HDD, is it enough for getting another with a warranty change?)


Answer



It seems highly likely some part of your hardware has failed.


Best case, one of your RAM sticks is gone, but you have more in there. Worst case, your CPU or entire motherboard has blown.


First thing I'd do is see if it works without one of the sticks of RAM inside, just swap each one out in turn and see if it gets better if you have more than 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...