Sunday, January 27, 2019

installation - Install ONLY Media Center On 8.1 Laptop With 8.1 Pro ISO?



I have a Dell laptop that came with Windows 8.1. (I guess it's not an "update" since it came with 8.1 out of the box.)



I just purchase a legitimate version of Windows 8.1 Pro (student) edition from the Microsoft store. I downloaded the installer and created both an ISO file and media drive on a USB stick.



My question is, can I somehow install only Media Center onto my 8.1 laptop without installing the entire 8.1 Pro operating system?




I don't even know if the Pro comes with Media Center or if I have to buy it (I think I read somewhere that it's like $10 if you have 8.1 Pro).



So this might complicate my situation a little bit.. I might have to find a way to buy Media Center for $10 without having to install 8.1 Pro first. It's my understanding that the "standard" way to buy Media Center when you already have 8.1 Pro installed is to go "Add Features" and then select "Buy product key online" and I will then be given the option to buy Media Center.



Since I don't have 8.1 Pro installed I won't have the option to get Media Center using the "Add Features" method. Is there another way to get Media Center without going through the OS? (Like a page where I can buy it for $10 by just providing my 8.1 Pro license key?)



Thanks!



Jan



Answer



You should be able to just do an in-place upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro...



From MS: Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Upgrade Paths




You can upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro and keep Windows settings, personal
files, and applications from the following Windows operating system
editions:





  • Windows 8

  • Windows 8 Pro

  • Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

  • Windows 8.1




Then acquire and install the Media Center pack:




From MS's Add Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows 8.1 :





  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.



    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)


  2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.


  3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.1 and then do one of the following:




    • If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.



    Follow the steps to purchase and enter a product key.



    • If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.


  4. Enter your product key and click Next.


  5. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.




No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...