Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Remap Caps Lock to Ctrl in Windows 10 without administrator privileges?

I found this question:


Which would likely work great if I had admin rights on my machine. But I don't.


I also found a couple of links about remapping keys without admin rights in Windows 7. The suggested solution is to use the following:


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,1d,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00

(Save in a file with .reg extension, double-click to apply to the registry, and then reboot.)


This is the same as the first linked solution except for the key to edit; the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key can be edited without admin rights.


Unfortunately, this doesn't work on Windows 10. (It applies and creates the key, but even after reboot the Caps Lock key is caps lock, not ctrl.)


In regedit I see that under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout there are subfolders (subgroups?) for "Preload", "Substitutes", and "Toggle". It seems likely to me that putting something in "Substitutes" might be the way to do this for Windows 10 but I've no idea what to put, and there is no documentation I can find.


How can I remap Caps Lock to Ctrl in Windows 10 without admin rights?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...