Friday, July 12, 2019

windows - Group Policy Confusion (Printers configured under users?)

I'm befuddled. Active directory usually makes a bit more sense than this.


The Problem: Referencing the images below (with private info removed), it appears that Printer Connections are being defined beneath User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings, but "Printer Connections" doesn't exist in that location in the editor view of the policy. I've been asked to remove the printer definitions from the User Configuration section of the policy, and I'm stuck. Printscreen1Printscreen2


Additional Info: The main reason for removing the printer definitions from User configuration is to reduce boot time & log in time for VPN users. The policy being altered is the Default Domain Policy as is visible in the images. We have other Policies in other OUs (everything else has been blanked for security purposes), but this one is the relevant policy. The functional level of the domain is Windows Server 2008. The domain controllers are both Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V. Note: Server 2008 R2 is not implemented. If I left out something pertinent, leave a comment & I'll comment/respond or edit accordingly.


Question: Where is the correct location to configure user-based printer configuration and/or printer definition deployment?


Bonus points: Why is it displaying in this manner? This just doesn't make sense to me.


If I'm going about this all wrong, a shove in the right direction would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...