Saturday, July 27, 2019

installation - Dialog box tells me there's a missing driver when installing 64-bit version of Windows 7



I'm trying to install Windows 7 64-bit on my computer (ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, one 80GB HDD and two 1 TB HDDs). When I'm supposed to select whether I want to Upgrade or do a Custom install, I get a dialog box telling me:




Load Driver



A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.




Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.




I've tried to reach this step using a 32-bit installation disc, but that doesn't generate this message at all. Through the command windows (shift-F10) I can reach all of my drives, including my optical drive, without any problems--so what kind of device driver is it the installation wants? I've tried all the obvious drivers on the CD that followed my motherboard, but I can't seem to find the right one. The problem is that I don't know what device I'm supposed to load the drivers for in the first place.



Can anyone help me?



Edit: It turned out that my downloaded image was corrupted. I borrowed a DVD from a friend of mine, which worked!


Answer



I've had this exact error message, and it was caused by some sort of error on the DVD that I burned (I had burned the DVD at the fastest supported speed).




I solved it by using a new blank DVD and burning the ISO at the slowest speed that the DVD burner supported.



I think when I burned the original DVD, it verified correctly. For some reason, it seems that the Windows 7 installer is more sensitive to media errors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...