Monday, July 22, 2019

partitioning - Shrink mounted linux partition


I want to shrink a Linux partition to make room for a Windows 7 installation coming up, but GParted (running within Linux) will not allow me to shrink the mounted /dev/sda2 partition.


Is there any way around this, or must I boot into GParted from a USB drive?


Answer



You must boot from a USB drive or a Live CD so that the partition isn't being used. You can get a bootable GParted Live CD from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php


Once you have the ISO, you can use Unetbootin to make a bootable USB drive form the ISO.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...