Saturday, July 20, 2019

windows 7 - Create Password = Password incorrect


-Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Administrator account


Previously, my password stopped being a valid entry to login to my Windows 7 user account. I didn't change it. Possibly a memory error, but I really don't know. To band-aid the issue, I used Konboot to remove the password and I now have access to this account by just hitting the Enter key instead of entering a password. But, this is of course no good as I would prefer to have a password.


When I attempt to create a password for this account, Control Panel tells me that, "The password you typed is incorrect. Please retype your current password." There is no option to enter the old password before I enter a new one in this menu, as the menu is "Create a password for your account," not "Change your password."


Why/how could this have happened?


Answer



Coming back after some time:


The only functional way I was able to change my password was Ctrl + Alt + Del -> New Password, so it's a bit embarrassing that I didn't think of that before. It certainly did not work from the Manage Users.


Re-installing Windows 7 removed this memory error.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...