Monday, July 29, 2019

How to use SSH on Windows 10 Home Edition

I tried setting up ssh using OpenSSH and powershell on a nextbook with Windows 10 home edition installed. An error resulted on powershell which merely stated that ssh service couldn't be started on the computer. There is a message in the control panel which says that remote connection to the computer is not supported in the current edition of windows. I'm guessing this is the reason I cannot setup an ssh service. If so, is there a way to support ssh on Windows 10 home edition?


Edit:
The error I'm receiving in powershell after trying, ' Start-Service sshd ', is as follows:
" Service 'sshd (sshd)' cannot be started due to the following error: Cannot start service sshd on Computer '.'. "


I went through the tutorial here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2017/12/15/using-the-openssh-beta-in-windows-10-fall-creators-update-and-windows-server-1709/
and the error results from trying the Start-Service script near the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...