Saturday, July 27, 2019

hard drive - Windows 10 upgraded from Seven, can't change install location


I would like to transfer/ or reinstall my Windows 10 (upgraded from a Windows 7) on another drive. Currently it's installed on a 500 GB hard-drive, but I bought a 500 GB SSD and I connected it to my computer.


I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO setup file from Microsoft site, tried to launch it but it will not ask me a drive or partition on which I would like to install it.


How can I put or reinstall it on my SSD, while keeping my official version registered ?


Thanks a lot for hints or solution !


Answer



Simply perform a regular clean installation. That means you’ll have to boot using your installation medium. Launching Setup in Windows is not enough.


During Setup, skip entering the Product Key. The existing activation will be restored automatically on the same PC.


It might be desirable to disconnect other drives when installing so the Windows Boot Manager ends up on the SSD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...