Tuesday, July 23, 2019

windows 8 - Second monitor gaining and losing detection constantly

I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or software but from initial tests seems to be software related or hardware but not the monitor itself.


The situation: I have a slightly old sony vaio laptop with an external monitor plugged in via vga.
The problem: The primary display, being the external monitor, gets "undetected" and "redetected" every second, constantly, until I disconnect the monitor entirely. The computer is basically completely unusable because it keeps changing the primary display.


Connecting the monitor to another pc (also via vga) works so I don't think the problem lies in the monitor or the vga cable. The only culprits I can think of are the video card (ati) or some driver issue (reinstalling them though seems to have no effect).


I'm running windows 8.1, 13.9 mobility ati drivers, 64bit.
If you have any idea what might be the problem, I would really appreciate the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...