Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Some executables refuse to download on Windows 8

I'm setting up a new Windows 8.1 computer. It refuses to download certain files -- they'll download the first few hundred KB, but then stall. This happens on IE, Chrome, and Firefox.


Every non-executable file I've tried to download works fine. The executable downloads that don't work include AVG from their site and Avast from cnet. Executable downloads that do work include Start Menu 8 from cnet and the Spotify installer. (Yes, one download from a certain site works and another from the same site doesn't).


I've disabled QoS packet scheduling. I've disabled TCP window scaling. I tried disabling Windows Firewall. I removed McAfee and any other crapware that came with the computer that seemed like it might cause a problem. I made sure the account has write access to the Downloads folder, and tried downloading to other folders. I made sure downloads are enabled in Internet Options. I restarted more than once. I made sure the date and time are synced. I'm completely out of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...