Tuesday, July 30, 2019

linux - UEFI dual boot messed up attempt

I was trying to for the first time dual boot my computer With Windows 8.1 Kali Linux


I didn't Have an Idea About What UEFI means so naturally I made a partition, then I Went to the "BIOS" menu and set things up in order to boot from USB (as I saw in tutorials, I was supposed to put the legacy mode on, and the "legacy first" option); finally the installation finished and I rebooted, there appeared the menu options to select the OS to use, so I first started Kali and saw everything was ok, but when I tried to enter in Windows , there Appeared a message saying something like "the boot configuration for your PC is missing" .....


So I panicked and I used the system restore tool, even when it finished the problem stayed the same, so I decided just as lucky choice to leave the he BIOS boot menu like it was originally. And that allowed me to use windows again, but when I tryed to enter in Kali now with the legacy mode, it shows the message "unkown filesystem grub rescue ...." , so summarizing I would really appreciate your help with this questions:


1) why did the dual boot Attempt failed?


2) Why windows and linux installer shows a different size from the same partition?


3) how can I delete the useless kali linux partition (I just don't remember which one it was) in oreder to use That space again?


4) Is there a way of making a dual boot with UEFI? how?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...