Tuesday, July 30, 2019

UEFI Dual Boot Windows 10 & DebianTesting

I know I am probably making a duplicate. But there are so many duplicates already that finding an answer to my specific questions will take hours. If not more. I tried.


So I succeeded in the dual boot.
I have a ASUS FX504GM gaming laptop. Windows is on an NVME & the HDD now has DebianTesting.


My question.. did any of this at all effect the EFI partition of Windows NVME?
I ask this because when I used to install grub on my old PC which had MBR disks and Legacy BIOS it would ask me which disk I wanted to install grub to.. /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.
Idealy I would keep Windows in one disk. And install grub to the sdb that way I would be able to retain both Windows Boot Loader an grub on separate disks.
This time .. grub did not ask which partition to INSTALL itself to.
Now when I go into my UEFI setup (F2 at start) I see THREE boot option. Two of which are the Debian on disk ST1000LXSJS (Seagate Firecuda) and Windows bootloader on the NVME.


-Why are there two debian boot options?


-How does the EFI partition created on the Debian HDD work?


-Did grub install to two places?


Now here's the funny part.


I messed up the kernel updates and I am reinstalling Debian.
I deleted the EFI and root partition on the HDD and my UEFI still shows the boot options.


So did grub add an entry somewhere in the NVME's efi partition?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...