Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Windows 10 file explorer won't rename any New folder created

There is a very similar post here that was closed. The answer was not working.
There is also this post that I just found documenting the issue
"Unable to rename folders through Explorer in Windows 8.1"




The issue happens for any New folder created (a sub-folder in any location).






Window's error1:






Title: "Rename folder"




Text:



"Can't find the specified file."



"Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."



"New folder"

"Date created: dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm"



Box: "Try Again" or "Cancel"






If I click 'Try Again'







Window's error2:






Title: "Rename"



"Text:"
"warning sign"



"The file or folder does not exist."




Box: OK






Context: A W7 clean install followed by a W10 "clean option" upgrade (24 July 2016), so one year after W10 launch.
Still, another of my PC with a "dirty" W10 upgrade from W7 gives the same symptoms. I fixed it but don't remember how.
Particularity: logical drives/folders on both PCs manually set for the Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos folders at different locations than Windows default. Whether relevant or not, I don't know. It is a common characteristic / difference from standard for these 2 PCs.



http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/er...rs-windows-10/ gives a solution but I am not 100% sure it is the right one, and it implies also modifying the registry.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku-jsZ7HvfA gives a solution that could be similar to the reg fix in the 1st link. I identified that some keys are the same, but not all.



I can rename the "New folder" using an old "dos" type command opening a cmd window. That works fine. (e.g. in cmd, type H: (if H: is the logical drive on which it happens); cd "your folder_name" (reiterate if required); dir (to know if your "New folder" is there); ren "New folder" test1 (to rename your new folder to 'test1'); exit (and scream hallelujah))



Before touching the registry, would anyone with W10 insight know if these registry fixes make sense. I don't know the rationale which makes me uneasy; I am a mere user. Yes I could make backups & try but, even if it works now, I could still find out later that these fixes are damaging something else.



Thanks



acontrario

Brussels

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...