Thursday, January 16, 2020

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundred bad sectors all clustered up in last couple of gigabytes on the hard drive. If I leave that part out unformatted, will it work right?


edit: This is the situation after testing. There is visible chaos at the end. All Sentinel or HDD Regenerator tests and repairs freeze when processes reaches 99%. It found additional 1 bad sector in the middle and a weird darker green pattern at the upper part of the image :)


Chkdsk with /f or /r also freezes at 99%. Done full windows format. People say that it should remap the bad sectors, but I'm not sure it did here any good.I will just try to make a 100 GB partition for system, and see how it works.


disk surface map

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...