Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Does a full retail Windows 8 license grant me the right to install Windows 7 instead?


If I buy a full retail Windows 8 license am I granted the right to install a down-level version of Windows, specifically Windows 7, instead? Just to be clear: I buy a full retail Windows 8 license - full version (not upgrade) and retail, not OEM. But rather than installing Windows 8, I want to run Windows 7. Is this allowed?


Answer



No. Downgrade rights (which is what I assume you're thinking of) only applied to the Vista/XP era.


If you want to buy a license for Windows 7, there is nothing stopping you from purchasing an OEM license, or buying it outright from an online retailer.


Unless you buy an OEM license of Windows 8, which more information is available here.


http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=dVb0lSch56Y


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...