Thursday, January 9, 2020

linux - Why am I getting a disk boot failure when I try to install Ubuntu?

I'm encountering boot failure while trying to install a Linux distro from a CD. I'm using an older PC; here are its specs:


HP Pavilion 2.66GHz, 512MB RAM with a BIOS revision of 6/30/2003


I reclaimed an older drive (Seagate ST340810A) that seems to be working, as it's recognized in the BIOS (auto-detected).


I downloaded a mini.iso of Ubuntu 10.10 that I want to install, and burned the image to a CD for install.


My boot sequence is: First Boot Device [CDROM]. I disabled devices 2-4 so I can just force it to read first from the CD-ROM.


This old PC also has a separate CD writer which is a Sec.Slave. The Sec.Master is the Toshiba DVD/ROM DSM-171 drive where I placed the burned Linux CD.


With these settings I cannot get it to boot. I get the message



"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"



when I try

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...