Friday, January 3, 2020

macos - Mac disk is full but I can't figure out why

I have a 500GB SSD on my macbook running Yosemite.


Recently, I have been getting a lot of out-of-disk space message. I have been deleting and deleting. According to every disk usage application I have tried (including Disk Expert, Disk Wave, Omni Disk Sweeper) I am using about 130GB.



  • 32 GB Applications

  • 10 GB Library

  • 8 GB System

  • 80 GB Users


Yet the Mac says only 13GB out of 512GB are free. So there is a huge discrepancy. I have cleaned log files and caches. I have run disk check which has reported no errors. I have rebooted (naturally). None of the tools above showed the missing data.


Moving to the command line, I find what looks like the symptom of the problem:


$ sudo du -cxhd 1 /
338G /.DocumentRevisions-V100

My guess then is that the versioning feature has run amok. How can I address this discrepancy between the used disk space and the free disk space?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...