Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Will the Windows 8 Recovery USB "Reset" Option work on a blank HD?

Similar questions have been asked before at various times, but there is no clear answer on THIS question.


Neither do the instructions for the Windows 8 Recovery USB provide much of an answer.


Say I have a Lenovo notebook with Lenovo Windows 8 Pro OEM Version installed.


I use the utility to create a Windows 8 Recovery USB, which copies the recovery partition to USB.


Now i have a Windows 8 Recovery USB. Among the options with this USB is "Resetting your PC," which, according to Microsoft:



...reinstalls Windows but deletes your files, settings and applications – except for the applications that came with your PC. Restoring your PC is a way to undo recent system changes you’ve made.



What this does NOT tell me is whether "resetting my PC" works if Windows has been COMPLETELY ERASED from the SSD - a scenario in which "resetting" does not "delete your files, settings and applications" because the drive is completely blank.


For instance, if I wiped and repartitioned the SSD, installed Debian on it, and then, a year down the line, decided I wanted to wipe Debian and to return to the OEM Windows 8 Pro.


So the question is:


If I wipe the drive completely, will I be able to reinstall Windows on my computer using the "reset your pc" option on my Windows 8 Recovery USB?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...