Sunday, January 5, 2020

keyboard shortcuts - Just installed Windows 10 - alt+tab stops working a few seconds after boot



Yesterday I inserted a brand new SSD drive into my laptop and installed Windows 10 Enterprise. Most things work ok, and I am getting used to the new interface (coming from 8.1). However, alt+tab does not work. The only result of pressing the combo is that the current window loses focus.



I tested right after a boot and it works briefly, but then stops having any positive effect after a while. Win+Tab works but the alt+tab shortcut has long ago become muscle memory so I want to keep it. :)



I am thinking that there is some sort of software I installed that caused this since it works for a while after boot. AquaSnap Pro has some keyboard shortcuts but none that go near alt+tab as far as I can tell. Greenshot also has some but should not block it either. I am not currently running AutoHotKey even if I want to once I figure this out.




Is there a way to see what "happens" in the OS when you press a hotkey like this, and figure out which application "eats" the event?



Any other tips on getting my alt tab back?


Answer



Here is the solution to what was going on;



I use Launchy (2.5/2.6b doesn't matter) with Alt+Esc as the hotkey for activation. This apparently does not make Windows 10 happy. It worked fine with Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and probably XP before that (long time Launchy user).



If I change the Launchy hotkey to for instance Ctrl+Space or Alt+Space, Alt+Tab keeps working as expected.




I know that Alt+Esc has an action attached to it in Win10, but I did not realize it would react like this to having one of the hotkeys overwritten. So I dunno if this would need to be "fixed" in Win10 or in Launchy - neither is very likely anyway so I better get used to the new key combo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...