Tuesday, January 14, 2020

windows 10 - I get the error: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"



After I got a new and bigger SSD, I wanted to install Windows 10 on it. For some reason BIOS did not list my bootable USB device, with the Windows 10 installation. So I connected it thorugh SATA instead, and now it would let me install Windows 10. Problem is, everytime I disconnect the HDD where the Windows 10 installation is located, I get the error: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" during boot. When I connect the HDD, it seems to boot from the installation HDD, and let me choose to open into Windows 10 (on the SSD). I can then use Windows 10 normally.



Som other info:



When the installation HDD is disconnected and I go into BIOS, the SSD is the only thing listed under boot devices. If I choose the SSD manually from BIOS, I get the same error message.



At first under the Windows 10 installation, I coulnd't install on the SSD because of it being a GPT-partition. I used Diskpart and then installed Windows 10.




I have tried to set the SSD as "active" with Diskpart.



BIOS Mode



MSInfo32 shows: Legacy



Title shown in BIOS menu: UEFI BIOS Utility - EZ Mode



BIOS when old and new SSD is connected. The old SSD (with working Windows 10) has the UEFI label.



Answer



So I found a USB drive that worked. I'm not sure what went wrong, when trying to connect. Now I got a fully functional Windows 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...