Tuesday, July 16, 2019

unable to update new windows 7 install


I just did a factory restore on my old Lenovo ThinkPad W510 laptop that was running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and now I'm unable to update it. When I go to the Updates dialog I see this:


enter image description here


I click the "Check for updates" button and... nothing. I've let it sit for several days thinking that it'd just update on it's own and... nothing.


Any ideas?


edit: this question is not a duplicate of Windows 7 SP1 Windows Update stuck checking for updates for the following reasons:



  1. The symptoms are different as depicted in the screenshot. This isn't stuck on a "Checking for updates" screen as it's not even getting to that screen.

  2. This Windows 7 did not have SP1 installed whereas the one in the alleged duplicate is.


If this question does get closed as being a duplicate I'll nominate to re-open and, failing that, seek clarification as to how exactly this is a duplicate in Meta.


Answer



Installing Service Pack 1 manually will likely resolve this issue.


You can download Windows 7 SP1 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...