Friday, July 12, 2019

permissions - How do I delete scsecsvc.exe which is left after the quick heal uninstall?


I installed the anti-virus - Quickheal trial version and then uninstalled it in order to install another anti-virus. Quickheal seemed to have left this program which runs in the background and simply wont die. I am on windows 7 - 32 bit. I am the sole administrator of the computer. I tried to kill the process-tree via the taskmanager. It says "operation could not be completed - access denied". I tried the services.exe method.


In services.exe this one is defined as CoreBrowsing Protection. On right-click I found that I do not have any option to stop the process. Neither I was able to control its auto-start options. The path to the program is "C:\Program Files\Quick Heal\Quick Heal Total Security\ScSecSvc.exe".


enter image description here


I have googled it and could not find a solution. I also scanned the [quickheal support][2] forum but there is no mention of this problem at all. The I tried some process-killer software listed below.


I tried process-explorer which returns the same "access-denied" message. I tried process-hacker which was able to kill the process but then immediately returns back into the task manager.
I tried the cmd method with taskkill /IM "scsecsvc.exe" /T /F , again says access denied.


Could there be an alternative method which I am missing that could delete this persistent program or my only way out is to format my system ?


Answer



When users here get infections like this, with executables or processes that get left behind, I usually remove them from safe mode. I'd recommend giving that a shot. Safe mode will open Windows with the bare minimum of services running, which usually allows you to remove files that have processes that won't stop running. Hope that helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...