Friday, July 19, 2019

memory - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit not recognizing 8 Gb of RAM

I have a Toshiba Satellite M645 running Windows 7 64bit Pro. The specification states that this particular machine can use up to 8Gb of RAM.


The specs state the RAM is:


DDR3 1066MHz (PC3 8500)


  • I purchased two 4Gb modules and...

  • Shut down the notebook

  • Removed power cord

  • Removed battery

  • waited 10 seconds...

  • removed and replaced (carefully and grounded) the SODIMMS respectively 2Gb with 4Gb.

  • Replaced battery

  • Plugged notebook back in

  • Windows 7 Freezes on logo screen:


    Starting Windows...



But the logo never appears and it just hangs for a long time... better than 15 minutes and I finally got tired of waiting. This is the ONLY behavior I have been able to get when the 4 Gb memory modules are present.


The BIOS recognizes all 8 Gb (8192 Mb) and the same SODIMMS work in a 64 Linux system without any issues. When I replace the new 4Gb modules with the original 2Gb modules, Windows 7 starts fine.


Please advise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...