Sunday, July 21, 2019

Keeping bootable images of all my operating systems and run them over LAN


I love being able to run what ever, whenever.


Is is possible to store images of all my operating systems on a server, and run them over a LAN whenever I need to, on what ever computer I log in from?


I would love to imagine this would work kind of how I think cloud computing works, in that you can spool up a computer image whenever you need it and get it running.


All shared documents would be kept on another server, and I understand I wouldn't be able to share programs between images either, each would need their own install.


Just wondering what kind of flex I have.


Answer



It would be possible to do a physical to virtual conversion of a running system and then you could mount it using a Hypervisor such as VMWare ESX/VSphere or Microsoft's Hyper-V. You would then simply start the OS you wanted and connect using a tool such as RDP or VNC. You could also create clean images from original media and then start fresh if converting is not an option


Desktop options such as Vmware Player or Workstation could work as well.


Shared storage could be accessed as long as the OS and the storage support that.


As you note, programs would need to be installed in each virtual machine


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...