Tuesday, July 9, 2019

firefox - How do I save an image of a really long website? Taking about millions of pixels in height

For my high school graduation, I'd like to make a video telling the story of my class via flying through our Facebook group's posts and highlighting a few of the most important ones.


To do this, I wanted to use one of the many browser extensions that take a screenshot of a website, but all of them either just bug out, or say there's not enough video memory (FireShot), even with only the past 3 months' posts. That's not a huge surprise though, the group has thousands of posts, and if we say a post takes up around 400px, that means the end images would be maybe 10,000,000px large in total.


I then tried to print the page to a PDF, but I just couldn't find a way to get rid of the page breaks—the end result should have no seams at all.


Currently I'm thinking of just getting all data via Facebook's API and writing a program that generates an image from that, resembling Facebook's design. But I thought it'd be wise to ask for alternatives before I resort to that.


(And yes, of course this video could be done with just a tiny bit of visual trickery, with motion blur and stuff, but I just love fidelity even when it's behind the scenes, and I found this problem generally intriguing.)


Edit: Here's a demo of what I'm trying to do. This is only 16k pixels though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...