Wednesday, January 9, 2019

windows 7 - Is there a way to boot from a disk to clone an internal hard drive to an external one, and vice-versa?


I've got a dying internal Windows 8 hard drive in a desktop PC. I want to copy the data off of it, but it doesn't boot properly, so I was wondering if I could instead boot from a bootable disk containing a cloning software, then clone it to an external hard drive (connected via USB 3). Then, if and when that is successful, I'd like to buy a new internal HD, pop that in, and then copy the data back from the external drive to the internal one.


What software would allow me to create this bootable disk to perform this backup operation?


Answer



I ended up using Acronis True Image. I installed it on another Windows computer I had, then created a boot DVD from it. I then popped the boot DVD into the dying computer's DVD drive, booted from it, then plugged in an external HD to the PC and told True Image to clone the internal drive to the external one. I then swapped the internal drive with a new one, and cloned the external drive to the new internal drive. It's good as new now!


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...