Wednesday, January 30, 2019

No Boot Device Available


I have a Dell Vostro 230 Windows 7 computer and recently the hard drive was starting to fail. I then purchased a new hard drive in order to replace the redundant hard drive.


I installed the new hard drive (along side the failing one) and installed Windows 7 on the new hard drive. So now I have two hard drives (new and failing one) each with Windows 7 on it. When both of them are plugged in i can boot to either one. When i boot to my new one it works just fine.


Now here's the issue. When i remove the failing hard drive and just leave the new one in there, upon booting it says 'No Boot Device Available'.


I then checked the BIOS settings and it all seems to be correct. The boot order is correct. The BIOS seems to recognize the new disk as it has the new disk already selected.


Please direct me on what i should do next. Bear in mind this is a brand new hard drive.


Answer



Could you take a snapshot even if via a smartphone of your bios boot options and the front page? I may be able to diagnose it. Else try to reseast the hdd. Put the new one in the old slot and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't leave the new one in the old slot, and put the old one in the new one, restart your machine and see if it can boot. If it does, try cloning you old hard drive using a software like the one from this website EaseUS Disk Copy. After cloning, remove the old hdd, leaving only the new one in and see if it will boot. There is a chance the MBR in your new HDD may not be configured or installed properly. With that software it can clone an entire OS from primary HDD to secondary HDD with exact partitions and MBR files too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...