Thursday, January 17, 2019

hard drive - Can't see disk in Windows explorer

I purchased a new 4TB HDD and put it in an enclosure for external use. I formatted that HDD using the disk management tool (as GPT rather than MBR) and assigned a drive letter to it. I was able to use the HDD just fine. I found out, however, that on the box of the enclosure was listed "supports hard drives up to 3 TB." I was kind of apprehensive about continuing to use this enclosure, so I got a new one which supports 4TB hard drives.




However, with this new enclosure, I now cannot see the drive in Windows Explorer. When I go to disk management, I can see it listed as a Healthy GPT Protective Partition. When I right-click it, though, the only option is "Help."



Here's what I've tried:



When I use the diskpart command line tool, I am able to see the disk with list disk. However, list volumes on the disk returns "There are no volumes." list partition returns



Partition ###   Type           Size      Offset
------------- ------------- -------- ------
Partition 1 Primary 3726 GB 4096 B



I also tried using the program testdisk. I tried the following: For Please select the partition table type, I chose [EFI GPT]; I then chose Analyse, then got Bad GPT partition, invalid signature. Trying alternate GPT. invalid signature., then did Quick Search when it said Try to locate partition. It located an MS Data partition, and I was able to explore it and copy files from it.



So why can't I see it in Windows Explorer, and why can't I assign a drive letter to it? And why is it not associated with a volume in the diskpart utility?



EDIT: Here are the products I have referred to:



The original enclosure which supports up to 3 TB: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-3-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-3US35/dp/B003CJQ69A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_5



The new enclosure specifically tested with 4 TB drives (also has a fan): http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-3-5in-SuperSpeed-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B003F5NS9W




The 4 TB hard disk drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...