Tuesday, January 15, 2019

hard drive - my windows 10 pc got really slow although CPU and memory usage is fine. what else can I do?


since two weeks my windows 10 pc got really slow, and I have no idea why. I can still do everything, but everything takes much longer to a degree that I'm struggling to get my school work done. listening to music is usually not fluent but "stammering", mouse movement is sometimes also interrupted and opening webpages can take ages.


I already tried the following, but none of them solved the problem:



  • free up space on hard disk (C:). now there's 16 GB free, but problem remains (lenovo recovery disk (Q:) is almost full, only 500 MB out of 13 GB are free, but someone told me that this doesn't matter?)

  • check task manager for CPU, memory, network and disk usage, but it's constantly around 50% max (well within the limits) and the computer is still slow


enter image description here



  • try different programs and internet connections, but my pc remains slow, even with the super fast internet at my university


enter image description here


Answer



thanks for your answers, guys, but the solution was actually something else. Turned out that the task "system and compressed memory" is not actually run by windows, but run by some malware which disguises itself as windows. I reset my PC completely, and now it's running fine again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...