Friday, January 25, 2019

hard drive - Windows 7 Startup Repair deleted user/system files, won't boot at all now


My 64bit PC running Windows 7 was hanging on AVGIDSEH.SYS at boot. After googling this issue (which appears common) I renamed the AVG folder in Program Files and removed all avg*.sys files from system32 as per the advice of several forums.


At this point Windows began hanging on CLASSPNP.SYS during boot. Throughout all of this I was able to boot Ubuntu from a flash drive and access the file system.


From the recovery console I let Windows Startup Repair run to see if it would actually get the system to boot before I tried the command prompt to run chkdsk and sfc etc.


Startup Repair seemed to work, it took slightly over an hour (as the prompt suggested it would) but restarted to A disk error has occured, press CTL+ALT+DEL to restart.


The hard-drive made a funny noise, so I ran SMART tests (short and extended). Both passed within a minute.


I accessed the recovery console command prompt and tried to navigate to the C: drive, and received a message saying the drive was corrupt and unmountable.


Booted Ubuntu again and all of the user files, program files, and many other executables and .dlls are missing although the directory structure remains and all I get when I try to boot is A disk error has occured.


Did start-up repair really eat my files or just lose them? Should I just format and reinstall at this point? Could the drive be toast even though it passed SMART and I can still see the remaining files from Ubuntu?


Answer



Run chkdsk /r on the hard drive from command prompt, see if it will run, if it does it will take a long time depending on the size of the C partition, be patient and do not interrupt it. I think you have more serious hard drive issues, as SMART tests do not always reveal impending hard drive failure. best to run the hard drive manufacturers disk diagnostics on the drive


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...