Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Windows Updates - Does Not Install, how can I remove it

Everytime I shutdown my Windows XP, it comes up with the following screen which says



Turn Off with Installing Updates



(Of course, it also gives me an option as follows, "Click here to turn off without installing updates.")


When I do a normal shutdown asking it to "Install Updates and Turn It Off", it doesn't actually install the updates. Each subsequent time I try to shut down the PC, it still prompts me to "Turn Off with Installing Updates".


enter image description here


I managed to find out that the install was this:



Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3
(KB955706) update 1 of 1 ....



enter image description here


When I click on the Installing Updates icon (the yellow icon, that appears on the task bar near the clock), and install it, it tries to install but fails:


enter image description here


Why is this install alone failing?


Secondly, if it's not possible to ascertain why the installation is failing, can I at least ensure that it's removed from the list of possible installs so that each time it does not ask me to install it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...