Tuesday, May 30, 2017

macos - Why won't my Western Digital My Book Home 500GB drive mount on my Macbook Pro via Firewire?



I can connect the drive via USB and it mounts correctly. However, when I connect via FireWire, the drive powers down.




The drive realizes that it is plugged in. When I plug in via FireWire, the lights on the front of the drive flash the same as when it it mounting via USB, but then the drive powers down. I've upgraded the firmware on the drive, but it still won't mount via FireWire.



Edit: After a relatively painless RMA process, I got a new drive from Western Digital and it is working on my Macbook via FireWire.


Answer



Probably because WD uses really cheap bridge chips in their re-branded enclosures. Or you could have a busted FireWire port.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...