Monday, May 8, 2017

Virus changed folder to executable

I loaned my flash drive to someone who used said drive on a Windows machine infected with a virus. My flash drive subsequently got infected with a virus that changes folders to executables.


Research on the virus revealed that it actually hides the folder, then creates an executable with the same name as the folder such that the virus is executed when the user unknowingly clicks on any of the infected folders. This means in theory my original folder should be visible when i unhide all hidden files and folders.


I have a Mac and have unhidden all files and folders but I can't see my folder of interest.[The infected folder that I want to recover is called "University" and as you can see it's listed as an executable.]
Here's a screen shot of my drive with all files unhidden: enter image description here


Can anyone please recommend a method to get rid of the virus and recover the folder from an OSX machine? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...