Monday, May 8, 2017

windows 10 - "BOOTMANAGER is missing" when optical drive connected

My computer fails to boot from SSD when optical drive is connected. It has worked perfectly for something like a year without it and now I have the same issue again when trying to connect it with another SATA cable that I ordered.


I have disabled the DVD drive from all boot settings and added the SSD as first everywhere but it does not help. There is also a boot override option that allows me to forcibly boot from the SSD but same result. I have also tried fiddling with the fast boot settings and other stuff under the boot menu in bios but nothing has an impact. The optical drive is also empty (no CD/DVD) if you are wondering.


Any idea what I could do? I have Hirens boot CD on USB and I will happily use it if needed. The Mobo is a workstation version that I bought ~4 years ago and I believe the optical drive is 6 years old and connects with SATA.


Could it be that my workstation Mobo with integrated mini-ssd for faster boot is causing trouble? Or could it be the optical drive being too old? Any help is appreciated, haven't been able to find anyone with the exact same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...