Thursday, May 25, 2017

How did my Windows 7 just manage to download and install a bunch of updates if "auto updates" is turned off?

I know for sure that "auto updates" was disabled before the restart, and they are still disabled now. Yet, when I did the restart Windows showed me the percent ticker during shutdown, during restart, and I can actually see names of newly installed updates with today's date in Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Updates.



Is this a known issue? Does Windows just brazenly ignore the prohibition of updates when it feels like it?



Can anybody suggest firewall level solutions to this, like prohibiting Windows or some parts of Windows from communicating with the Internet?



ETA: OK, some Internet research turns up similar claims, e.g. see here

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...