Monday, May 22, 2017

memory - Maximum RAM restrictions



I have a eMachines ET1862 with an Intel i3-550 and 2GB DDR3 RAM. Since 2GB is wayyy too slow (quick look at task manger shows it's been running at ~80% RAM since boot) I want to upgrade the RAM.



Concerning the maximum amount of memory I can fit, I looked up the model of PC and found it could handle up to 4GB. The websites I looked at also said it had 2 RAM slots.




Then I opened up the case and found 1 stick of 2GB DDR3, along with three empty RAM slots. After looking up the motherboard (IT It said H57H-AM2 in a load of places so I figured that was the name) and it came up with four slots and 16GB max.



So now I'm confused: what limits the amount of RAM you can have on a motherboard? I know the OS is fine as I've got win7-64bit. Is there anything more than the motherboard and the OS influences this limit?


Answer



The Maximum amount of memory is also determined by OS, in your case depending of your Windows 7 Version:



Home Basic     : 8GB
Home Premium : 16GB
Professional : 192GB
Ultimate : 192GB

Corporate : 192GB


Comparison Chart Windows 7



Also is good to check what the brand says.



About ET1862 Here is the datasheet it says:





Maximum 4 GB




And is determined also for CPU:



Here is the datasheet of your CPU it says:




Maximum 16 GB





for your Motherboard Specifications too it says:




Maximum 16 GB




Here is a link for yours:


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...