Saturday, May 13, 2017

windows 7 - Find out what application is loading the hard drive



I usually have several application running simultaneously on the system. The biggest memory-wise are MS Visual Studio and a Chrome with a bunch of tabs.



Something is always keeping my hard drive loaded though. It is not Torrent application, which could be an obvious reason. Is there a Windows 7-compatible application, that can tell me, which processes are loading up the hard drive performance-wise?


Answer



Windows "Resource monitor" will show many of the Performance data items, in a very nice display. In the disk section it will lay out all the programs that are, and were recently accessing the disks.




There is a gadget available called TopProcess that can be configured to show which processes are using the most cpu ,mem, and (I think) disk load. very small. I used to use a similar sidebar like guage that would show the top processes and in its small package it came in very handy, telling me who the hog was at the moment. without taking a second monitor to see it :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...