Friday, May 12, 2017

networking - Incorrect or Non Existent DNS server on laptop (Windows 7)



I've been trying to fix this issue for a few hours now, and have ran through a large number of troubleshooting lists.



Yesterday my laptop connected to my home network just fine, today it connects, but says "limited access" and no internet connection is available. The ISP is Comcast/Xfinity, but I'm thinking it's a problem on my laptop itself, not with the ISP. When I run the troubleshooting utility, I get a message that says that it is trying to correct to an incorrect or non existent DNS server.



Here's what I've done:





  • Manually typed in a static IP address and other connection information such as DNS server and subnet mask (using my router's IP as the DNS server.)

  • Restarting the computer

  • Disabling/Enabling the wireless adapter

  • Flushed DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns in elevated command prompt)

  • Connecting to a friend's fully functional network (I get the exact same issue.)

  • Having friends connect to my home network (their computers all connect flawlessly)

  • I went out and purchased a netgear USB wireless adapter, disabled my built in one, installed the drivers for the new one, and I still get the exact same issue, down to the same troubleshooting message.

  • I have tried to get to the router's management back end via it's IP address (10.0.0.1) to no avail, I just get a connection timed out notification, so I cannot successfully connect to the router's management page.




Does anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong/how to fix it? I'm still googling but so far, after 3 hours straight of troubleshooting I have made no progress.



UPDATE




  • sfc /scannow returns no integrity violations

  • TCP/IP has been reset from the command prompt

  • ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew have been run

  • nslookup / ping have been tried and they both fail

  • the hosts file is empty


  • I tried using an ethernet cable and hooking directly to the router, i still get the same error



The problem still persists after everything listed here.


Answer



Reset the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on the computer. Here is how to do that - How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).



Then you should probably run Malware Bytes or SpyBot S&D to make sure there isn't anything else (malware/spyware/adware) messing with your system. A free online scan at eSet just to make sure its clean might be a good idea.



Once you know the system is clean, open an elevated command prompt and run SFC /SCANNOW to run the System File Check. When it is done, reboot and see if things are back to normal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...