Wednesday, May 10, 2017

hard drive - GParted moving partition from beginning of disk to the end of a disk?



Straight forward, as the title says but, I've never moved a partition with GParted and I'm concerned that I will damage the drive. I have a screen shot.



Gparted screenshot




I'm trying to get the sda2 partition to use the unallocated space. I believe that I have to move sda2 to the end of the hard drive but, I'm not sure and I don't know how.



Any help would be appreciated!


Answer



Partitions must be contiguous (you cannot use two separate disk areas for a single /dev/sda2), so you will first need to move sda3 to the end of the disk, using GParted's "Move/resize" function.



|1|------sda2------|           free space           |-----------sda3-----------|



Afterwards, use the same function to expand sda2 into the free space in the middle:



|1|----------------------sda2-----------------------|-----------sda3-----------|


However, since sda3 is your system partition, you cannot move or resize it from the same system. You will have to boot from the Ubuntu CD instead.



Moving (or, in rare cases, resizing) partitions can cause all files to be lost – for example, if the power goes out during moving (it takes a long time to move a partition). It never causes physical damage, however.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...