Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Visual Studio 2013 updates via Windows Update




I remember that Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010 would all automatically update via Windows Update like 99% of every other Microsoft product.



Now however it seems that Visual Studio 2013 wants you to install updates manually. Is there some way of re-enabling automatic updates?



I've attached screenshots of the updates and also the Windows Update, because from my searching a lot of answers are something like "make sure Windows Update says it will update other products" which mine does and yet still won't update Visual Studio.



enter image description here



enter image description here


Answer




In an enterprise environment you always have the options of using WSUS or SCCM. I've used WSUS to update our team's VS2012 environment in the past. We haven't migrated to VS2013, so I don't know the situation for it but because the mechanism behind it is very simple I don't doubt that it will support VS2013 updates, too.



Here are some articles for your consideration on WSUS for VS updates:



http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robcaron/archive/2013/04/04/how-to-install-visual-studio-2012-update-2-offline.aspx



This one mentions VS2013 updates but the script is not something official so I can't be sure: http://www.vmwareandme.com/2014/02/How-to-install-configure-wsus-windows-server-2012-R2.html#.VHRl0hE43sk



SCCM is another way of integrating a central update mechanism but its purpose is much broader and it would be an overkill to use it just for software updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...