Sunday, May 21, 2017

hard drive - Windows ssd upgrade with old hdd


I want to use Windows 10 with a Samsung ssd and a secondary internal hard drive. I just added the new ssd, but now the hdd can't be initialized and the ssd boot is so slow. I installed Windows 10 in the ssd without the internal hdd first, and added it after.


I noticed that If I remove the HDD from the Bios the laptop booted in seconds from the SSD, if I add the HDD it boots in minutes.


I think there is a recovery partition in this hdd that is making this happen. I thought linux would help me, so I want to format the hdd from an ubuntu live usb to fix it. I used gparted but It didn't work as expected.


In gparted, I selected my HDD and deleted all partitions, then formated it in NTFS. When I started Windows thinking the problem was solved, the HDD was recognized but the device can't be initialized, and Windows can't access the Hdd. It cannot be formated from Disk Management in Windows neither.


The hdd was fine before the ssd upgrade. What can I do?


EDIT: After unallocating space in my HDD from Ubuntu, I got this


http://imgur.com/a/Or19w


Right click, New simple Volumne, now shows an I/O error message and it does nothing...


Thanks


Answer



I answer myself.


I reconnected my internal hdd physically, in case it was disconnected.


Then, things went better. I cannot create the partition from Disk Management, but I used the following commands to create the partition


diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
format fs=ntfs quick

Then I used a Disk Partition tool like Active Partition Manager to rename my device.


Thanks


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...