Thursday, May 25, 2017

linux - Unable to boot Windows XP after installing ubuntu 10.10



I have ubuntu 8.10 & Windows XP installed on my PC. I formatted the C:\ partition and installed a new fresh copy of Win XP.



After that I was not able to login to ubuntu 8.10. It is clear that Win XP overwrote the MBR.




I tried to re-install the boot loader (Grub) again by boot ubuntu 10.10 CD. Finally, I was able to boot both ubuntu version 8.10 and 10.10. However, I was not able to boot Win XP.



There is an entry in grun menu of ubuntu 10.10 specific for WinXP, but when I press enter to boot Windows I get back to grub menu.



Any idea?


Answer



edit your grub.conf you will find windows xp grub menu and put this



title windows xp

root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1


check this link http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/grubconf-for-windows-vista-or-xp-dual-boot/


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...