Wednesday, May 10, 2017

windows 7 - How to access NTFS partition and erase files on clicking hard drive (part-success)

Had a new laptop for 4 days and when turned on today, the hard drive (Hitachi) was clicking (hardware fault) and Windows won't load: "0xc00000e9 error - hardware fault".


Definitely not dropped the laptop or anything like that.


Loaded UBCD (USB) - Hitachi Drive Fitness Test found no drives. Then loaded PartedMagic which shows SMART errors in the drive - "Uncorrectable error in data". Can't browse the drive in the File Manager - it comes back with a read error. Can't mount the drive either. Tried ntfsfix which made no difference.


TestDisk shows the partitions and let's me browse the files! However I want to delete my personal files off the hard disk (as I'm returning the laptop) and would rather not wipe the whole partition out.


Any ideas how I can use UBCD and any other programs to let me browse and delete certain files/folders on the broken drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...